USDA Certified Organic spice blends are mixtures of fragrant herbs and spices that are guaranteed to be organic. Cooking with them will add adventurous flavor to your healthy meals.
Organic Spice Blends
While there are hundreds of conventional spice blends available, there are fewer available in an organic version. However, some companies offer high quality organic spice blends that can be ordered on the Internet or found in your local grocery store.
Spicely Organic Spices
All of Spicely's spices are not only USDA certified organic, but they are also certified fair trade, certified kosher, vegan, and gluten-free. Their organic seasoning blends are available in dozens of combinations. Following are some to consider:
- Organic Italian Seasoning: A combination of some of Italy's most popular spices including basil, marjoram, garlic, oregano, rosemary, and chili. The blend is available in a .3 ounce box for $3.99; a .7 ounce eco-shaker for $6.99, or a six ounce jar for $23.98.
- Organic Cajun Seasoning: This salt-free seasoning combines the spiciness of pepper, onion, garlic, cayenne, and cumin with the sweetness of paprika. The blend comes in a .3 ounce box for $3.99; a .7 ounce eco-shaker for $6.99, or a 14 ounce jar for $21.98.
- Organic Mexican Seasoning: If you love fajitas, tacos, or burritos, this is the blend for you. It's a zesty combination of chili California, paprika, chili pasilla, oregano, cumin, onion, and pepper. A .5 ounce box costs $3.99, and a two ounce eco-shaker costs $6.99.
- Organic Fines Herbs Blend: This blend makes a perfect pairing for fish or egg dishes and features tarragon, parsley, chives, and chervil. A .1 ounce box costs $2.99.
- Organic Chinese Five Spice Blend: Great for marinades and stir-fry dishes, this spice blend combines star anise, fennel, black pepper, cinnamon, and cloves. It's available in a .5 ounce box for $3.99; a two ounce eco-shaker for $6.99, or a one pound jar for $27.98.
Mountain Rose Herbs
Mountain Rose Herbs is dedicated to providing high quality, organic spices and herbs to consumers. All of their blends are USDA certified organic, fair trade certified, certified kosher, and Oregon Tilth certified. The company has received positive third party reviews.
All of their spice blends are available in 1.9 ounce, eight ounce, and one pound packages and range in price from $3.92 to $15.00, depending on the size and type of blend you choose. Following is a sampling of available spice blends:
- Cajun Spice: A zesty combination of cayenne, black pepper, garlic, onion, sea salt, and sweet paprika.
- Celery Salt: A useful blend of celery seed and sea salt.
- Chinese 5 Spice Blend: This richly flavored blend combines star anise, black pepper, cinnamon, cloves, and fennel seed.
- Curry Blend: This blend is exotic and aromatic and combines coriander, turmeric, fenugreek, ginger, mustard seed, black pepper, and cayenne.
- Herbs de Provence: A blend with a floral undertone perfect for fish or vegetables, Herbs de Provence is a combination of thyme, rosemary, lavender, and marjoram.
Teeny Tiny Spice Company of Vermont
This company uses all USDA certified spices in their blends and many blends are kosher. They offer unique, difficult-to-find spice blends that represent some of the world's most exotic cuisines. The company has been featured in several popular magazines such as Eating Well and Today's Diet and Nutrition. All blends come in a 6.50 ounce tin and costs $9.50. Here is a sampling of available blends:
- Chocolate Chili Blend: This unique, spicy blend is sweetness with a kick. It combines cocoa nibs, cinnamon, various varieties of chilies, juniper berry, oregano, onion, garlic, Vermont maple sugar, and Himalayan pink salt. It's perfect for chili, meats, and rich sauces. One satisfied customer states that the flavors are fantastic and saves her from having to buy individual spices that get stale in the pantry.
- Jamaican Jerk Seasoning: A popular Caribbean spice combination, this kosher blend makes a great dry rub or meat marinade. It combines black pepper, thyme, allspice, a variety of chilies, cinnamon, paprika, ginger, clove, nutmeg, onion, garlic, Vermont maple sugar, and Himalayan pink salt. It's a spice lover's dream!
- Persian Adwiya Blend: If you're a fan of Iranian cuisine, you'll love this spice blend. It combines red and pink rose petals, cinnamon, lemon zest, cumin, coriander, orange zest, nutmeg, cardamom, black peppercorn, and Himalayan pink salt.
- West African Curry Blend: This is a unique curry blend reminiscent of traditional African cuisine. The blend features a variety of herbs and spices including mustard seed, coriander, turmeric, paprika, nutmeg, cumin, allspice, caraway, ginger, thyme, cumin, chili, Grains of Paradise, clove, and Himalayan pink salt. This product has a five star customer satisfaction rating.
Made in Hawaii, Kaiulani uses only USDA certified organic spices in their blends. Each blend starts as raw, organic spices that are then roasted and ground in Kaiulani's Oahu kitchen. Blends are combined using Kaiulani's traditional recipes and most add Hawaiian Alaea sea salt and organic cane juice for a punch of flavor.
All spice blends come in eco-friendly packaging and are available in 2.4 ounce to eight ounce bags and range in price from $6.75 to $14.95, depending on the blend and amount you choose. You may choose from:
- Exotic Curry Rub & Seasoning: Kaiulani recommends using this seasoning blend any time you crave the South Asian flavor of curry on dishes such as fish, pork, lamb, chicken, beef, stir fry, or vegetables. Kaiulani also recommends combining this seasoning with their Hawaiian Herb Garden Seasoning for an exotic taste experience.
- Kona Coffee Rub & Seasoning: This unique blend uses organic Moonstruck 100 percent Kona coffee to add rich flavor to meat dishes and savory gravies and sauces.
- Hawaiian Herb Garden Seasoning: This salt and sugar free herb combination includes garlic, oregano, rosemary, thyme, rosemary, and basil.
- Steak and Prime Rib Rub: If you love to grill meat, this blend is for you. The blend combines garlic, rosemary, bay leaf, thyme, and black peppercorn.
The company receives consistent five star reviews.
The Spice Hunter
This company offers five 100% USDA certified salt-free spice blends that are appropriate for anyone on a salt-restricted diet.
- Curry Seasoning Blend: Combines cumin, coriander, turmeric, ginger, cloves, and red and black pepper. A 1.5 ounce jar costs $7.90.
- Herbs De Provence: This blend is a flavorful combination of thyme, rosemary, basil, marjoram, sage, fennel, and lavender. A .6 ounce jar costs $6.80.
- Italian Seasoning Blend: Perfect for adding a punch of flavor to your favorite sauce, this blend combines basil, rosemary, marjoram, sage, thyme, and oregano. A .4 ounce jar costs $7.15.
- Mexican Seasoning Blend: This spice mix uses cumin, minced onion, garlic, paprika, cilantro, red pepper, coriander, and oregano to add flavor and zest to your favorite Mexican dishes. A 1.4 ounce jar costs $8.15.
- Poultry Seasoning: If you love chicken, you'll love this spice blend. It's a savory mixture of onion, garlic, coriander, basil, rosemary, sage, thyme, paprika, black pepper, and marjoram. A 1.1 ounce jar costs $7.00.
How to Store Your Spices
When you invest in USDA organic spice blends, you'll want to store them in a way that will protect the complex flavors. Here are some tips for storing your spices:
- Use your nose. If a spice smells bland, it is probably losing its potency. It is time to throw it out.
- Buy in small quantities. Many natural food stores have a bulk herb and spice section where you can buy as much or as little as you like. Be aware that some of the items may not be organic. When in doubt, always ask.
- Use glass jars to store your spices. Spices with strong aromas can flavor everything else stored nearby.
As a general rule, spices are good for the following time periods when stored properly:
- Whole spices, if un-ground, last for up to four years.
- Ground spices should be good for up to two years, but will begin to lose potency after four months.
- Herbs will lose flavor after a year.
Use Organic Spice Blends for Flavor and Health
Whatever your reason for using spice blends, choosing organic versions helps ensure you're receiving the highest quality spices available -- with no dangerous chemicals or pesticides -- for optimum flavor and health.