Having your own organic shampoo recipes not only saves money; it protects your hair from toxins and chemicals. Commercially manufactured shampoos often contain ingredients that dry and damage your hair. You can also absorb these chemicals through your skin. Since your skin is your largest organ, and the first line of defense against toxins, it is important to control what goes on you as well as in you. Remember that in order for your shampoo to be organic all of the ingredients you put into it must be certified organic.
Homemade Herbal Shampoo
- 2 cups strong, hot chamomile tea
- 3 tablespoons grated castile soap
- 1 tablespoon glycerin
- 5 drops of essential oil of choice
Place the grated soap in a bowl. Pour the hot tea over it and let stand a few minutes. Whisk in the glycerin and the essential oil. Pour into a bottle and keep in a cool, dark place. Place the flowers in a bowl and cover with the boiling water. Let stand for 15 minutes, and then strain into the other bowl. Clean the first bowl. Combine the soap and hot infusion in it. Let stand until the soap softens -- a few minutes. Beat in the glycerin and food coloring until well blended. Pour the mixture into the bottle. Keep in a cool dark place.
- For brunettes a tea of rosemary or sage can be used.
- For redheads a tea of calendula will bring out the highlights and shine.
- For gray hair a rinse made of betony will take any yellow out.
Protein Shampoo for Damaged Hair
Egg protein is good for the hair. Be careful not to rinse with water that is too hot or you will be combing scrambled eggs out of your hair for days. Some people find that the egg has a strong odor, but you can combat that by using essential oils to scent your shampoo. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator and use the next day.
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of organic coconut oil, warmed to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of castile soap
- 1/2 cup of distilled water
- 5 drops of essential oil in your favorite scent
Combine all of the ingredients in to a blender and mix until smooth. Use this just as you would any other shampoo.
Organic Shampoo Recipes for Different Hair Types
One of the great things about making your own shampoo is that you can customize it to the individual needs of your hair.
Shampoo for Oily Hair
Mint is one of the best herbs for oily hair. This shampoo not only combats the oil, it invigorates your scalp and smells wonderful.
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons mint
- 3 tablespoons grated Castile soap
- 2 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 1 drop of rosemary essential oil
Steep the mint in the water for twenty minutes, keeping the water at a simmer. Remove from heat, strain, and add the soap. Set aside to soften. When mixture reaches room temperature, add in the essential oils. Store the shampoo in a cool dark place.
Shampoo for Dry Hair
Coconut milk and rose are moisturizing and they smell fantastic together. Use this on dry hair to keep it healthy.
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup unsprayed (aka organic) rose petals
- 1/4 cup of coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon organic coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons grated Castile soap
- 3 drops rose otto essential oil
Steep the rose petals in the water for thirty minutes. Strain. Whisk in the remaining ingredients. Store the shampoo in a cool, dark place.
Using Homemade Shampoo
Homemade shampoo will often not lather as much as you are used to. This does not mean that it isn't working well, only that you won't have to worry about shampoo residues in your hair.
When you are making organic shampoo recipes always follow the directions carefully. Here are some tips for using your shampoo:
- Use distilled water rather than tap water to avoid adding chemicals into your ingredients.
- Allow about three minutes between shampooing and rinsing. This will give the ingredients a chance to permeate your hair.
- Rinse thoroughly with warm, not hot, water.
- Store tightly sealed in a cool, dark place.
By changing the essential oils you can customize these organic shampoo recipes. Experiment with the ingredients to come up with your own signature shampoo. Your hair will be its healthiest ever.