If you're expecting a new bundle of joy, organic maternity clothing can help you maintain your commitment to a healthy planet throughout your pregnancy.
Why Buy Organic?
While buying organic clothes may seem like a natural choice if you're already eating an organic diet, many expectant mothers find themselves wondering if an organic maternity wardrobe is truly necessary.
Conventionally grown cotton, although affordable and widely available, places a heavy strain on the Earth's resources due to the number of harmful chemicals used in its production. Organic cotton, in comparison, is grown without the use of any pesticides or fertilizers. It has the same fiber strength and length as conventionally grown cotton, but requires no special care.
Generally, organic cotton clothing costs 20 to 50 percent more than similar items made with non-organic fibers. If you're worried about the high cost of organic maternity clothing, however, remember that you may be able to earn back some of your money by selling your used clothes via an auction site such as eBay after your pregnancy. This is also a great way to reaffirm your commitment to the "reduce, recycle, and reuse" philosophy of green living.
Buying Organic Maternity Clothing Online
If you're not able to find organic maternity clothing in your local community, consider shopping online. Visit the following Web sites to get started:
- Stella Maternity has trendy graphic organic T-shirts, hoodies and tank dresses in versatile colors that are guaranteed to become a wardrobe staple throughout your pregnancy.
- Inhabitots is a site devoted to providing organic resources for parents committed to doing their part to save the planet. For expectant mothers, the site offers a few clothing basics that will last you throughout your pregnancy.
- Pristine Planet, a site designed to aid the process of comparison shopping for eco-friendly merchandise, has a section of its site devoted to items for expectant mothers.
Since your body will be changing rapidly throughout your pregnancy, there are a few tips to keep in mind when ordering organic clothing online:
- Don't order your clothes too far in advance. Even if you already have other children, it's difficult to predict how your body will grow during this pregnancy. You don't want to waste your money ordering winter clothes that won't fit until the summer months!
- Assuming an average 25 to 35 pound weight gain for your pregnancy, the size of clothes you regularly wear should be your maternity size. However, it's important to realize that there are slight variations among manufacturers. How you carry your pregnancy weight will also make a difference in how well your new maternity clothes fit.
- Review the store's return policy before placing your order to make sure you'll be able to exchange the items if needed.
- If you're on a tight budget, pay close attention to the site's shipping and handling fees. If you're not careful, these charges can significantly increase the price of your order.
Additional LoveToKnow Resources
For more advice on choosing the right maternity clothing for you, visit LoveToKnow Pregnancy. Maternity fashion articles available include: