Indulging in comfort food from time to time does not mean having to indulge in chemicals or pesticides as well. Nor does it mean having to reach for a cardboard box. Create your own rich and creamy macaroni and cheese from organic ingredients in just 20 minutes. The end result is something your whole family is sure to enjoy.
Recipe for Organic Macaroni and Cheese
This recipe uses a blend of different organic cheeses to produce a complex, gourmet flavor. Makes 6 servings.
- 1 16-ounce package of high-quality organic elbow pasta
- 1/2 stick organic salted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons organic unbleached flour
- 2-1/2 cups organic whole milk, warmed
- 8 ounces organic shredded Jack cheese
- 5 ounces organic shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces organic Gruyere cheese
- 2 tablespoons organic Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Sprinkle a small amount of salt into the water.
- Add the noodles and cook until just al dente in texture.
- Drain the noodles, reserving a small portion of the water.
- Transfer the noodles back into the pot and set aside.
- Combine the warmed milk, butter and flour in a small bowl and whisk until all lumps have been removed.
- Place the pan with the noodles over low heat and pour the milk mixture into the pan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until the milk mixture thickens and begins to bubble.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese.
- Continue stirring until the cheese is completely melted. If the mixture seems too thick, pour a small amount of the noodle water back into the pan to thin it.
- Serve immediately.
If you enjoy your macaroni and cheese baked, top it with organic bread crumbs and additional butter before placing in the oven until brown.
Additions and Substitutions
Depending upon where you live, it may be difficult to find organic versions of each of these cheeses. If this is the case, consider using the following in place of any you are unable to find:
- White cheddar
If available, you may also want to try substituting organic raw milk and raw cheese. This will give your macaroni and cheese a fresh, grassy taste, as well as a thicker texture. Many raw cheeses melt at lower temperatures, which will help give your meal a creamier taste as well.
While mac and cheese is wonderful by itself, there are several other organic ingredients you may want to consider adding to your dish. Try stirring any of these in just before serving:
- Lightly steamed organic broccoli
- Oven-roasted organic cauliflower
- Organic green peas
- Organic steamed carrots
- Organic hot dog pieces
- Organic soaked or cooked black beans
- Organic blanched, slivered almonds
- Organic chicken pieces
Enjoy Your Meal
This easy-to-prepare organic mac and cheese recipe makes a fast and delicious meal at any time. Make some to take with you to a party, or any time you feel like having some flavorful comfort food at home. You'll soon find that without any chemicals and without having to come from a box, your macaroni and cheese can taste even better than you thought possible.