Organic laundry soap is a completely natural product that is more environmentally friendly than traditional soap or detergent. In addition, many people believe that organic laundry soap is healthier for people to use and better for the clothes and products that it cleans, since it doesn't leave chemical residues or release any harmful fumes or toxins.
Even though conventional laundry detergent and household-cleaning products tend to be much cheaper than their organic counterparts, many consumers believe that organic products are worth the splurge. Why?
- Products that are certified organic are free of pesticides, herbicides, chemical additives, and other non-natural substances. Any item that has a USDA Organic seal is at least 95 percent organic.
- Organic products are manufactured with methods that are more sustainable than those used for traditional products. Conventional laundry detergent and other laundry products are petroleum-based and use a great number of resources to produce. In contrast, many companies that produce organics are committed to reducing their carbon emissions or maintaining environmental responsibility over a long-term business model.
- There's always a risk of chemical residue or exposure when you handle non-organic products, especially cleaning agents.
- With organic laundry soap and other organic laundry products, you can feel confident that you have a much lower risk of suffering any ill effects as a result of the cleaning products you use.
Types of Organic Laundry Soap
When you're shopping for organic detergent and other cleaning products, be aware of the wording that manufacturers use. An item is not certified organic unless it has a USDA Organic seal, and items that are labeled "natural" are not always organic, either. If you have questions about the company's manufacturing methods or the contents of the product, it's best to contact them directly and ask.
- Planet Natural sells liquid laundry detergent that is made from renewable, plant-based resources, minerals, and water. They also note that their detergent is biodegradable.
- CleaningChemFree.com acts as an intermediary between consumers and several natural and organic companies. They list organic detergents and other laundry products for sale on their site.
- Seventh Generation's laundry detergent, fabric softener, and baby detergent are all-natural, biodegradable, and environmentally safe. The company also manufactures a chlorine-free bleach.
- Eco Nuts's organic laundry detergent is reusable, and each 4-ounce package is good for between 50 and 90 loads of laundry. The soap is suitable for all types of fabric, from regular loads to delicates to wool or silks.
Making Your Own
You can also choose to make your own all-natural laundry detergent. The results you get with homemade detergent may be different from those you'll see with commercial cleaning products, so try a few different recipes until you find one you like that seems to clean effectively. Homemade laundry soap is far more economical than store-bought, and you'll always be aware of exactly what's going into your detergent.
You can find recipes online for powdered or liquid laundry detergents, depending on your preference, and you can always choose to double or triple recipes to make large quantities. That way, you need only spend a few minutes mixing up a batch of detergent that is completely natural and could last you for months!