There are several reasons to consider giving organic homemade gifts. You'll save money, since homemade gifts are usually cheaper than purchased presents. You'll impress friends and family with your thoughtfulness and creativity. If you're giving a gift to someone who doesn't normally use organic products, you're helping to expose them to the benefits of a more eco-friendly lifestyle.
Easy to Make Organic Gifts
Here are a few easy to make organic gifts you may want to consider:
- Gift Basket of Organic Produce: If you are interested in organic gardening, fill a basket with fresh produce and a few of your favorite recipes for a great organic gift.
- Treats Made with Organic Carob Chips: Organic carob chips are a common substitute for chocolate in many recipes. Treat a friend to a plate of homemade cookies or brownies using organic carob chips.
- Mix in a Jar: Mixes in a jar make popular gifts for people who love homemade goodies but are too busy to make them from scratch each time. Create thoughtful homemade organic gifts by simply replacing the conventional ingredients in the recipe with their organic counterparts.
Fashion and Beauty Gifts
- Organic Lip Balm: Lip balm is a great treat for anyone who needs a little pampering. Just ensure the ingredients you buy are certified organic.
- Organic Body Scrubs: Packaged in a pretty container, a homemade organic body scrub will look like a spa-worthy indulgence.
- Organic Shampoo: Since it doesn't lather as well as regular shampoo, many people shy away from using homemade organic shampoo. However, giving your favorite shampoo in a pretty bottle may be enough to convince a reluctant friend to make the switch.
- Organic Cotton Yarn: Use some organic cotton yarn to knit a lovely scarf and hat set to keep someone warm all winter long.
Gifts for the Home
- Reusable Shopping Bags: If you can sew, stitch up a batch of reusable shopping bags with organic fabric. For an added treat, tuck in a small gift certificate to a local organic food store.
- Organic Cleaning Products: Homemade organic cleaning products make a great gift for anyone who loves a clean house, but worries about the environmental impact of using too many harsh cleaning chemicals. Organic cleaning products are also great for parents of small children or pet owners, since these items are much safer to use around babies and animals.
- Organic Blankets: Sew up pretty blankets using your favorite organic cotton fabric to make very practical organic homemade gifts.
- Homemade Paper: If you know someone who is interested in scrapbooking, card making, or other paper crafts, treat them to a gift of some beautiful paper you made yourself. Adding herbs or dried flowers to your paper makes it possible to create a number of unique designs.
- Organic Finger Paints: A batch of organic finger paints with a paint brush and a pad of recycled paper is a gift that's sure to encourage a child's creative impulses.
- Homemade Organic Flea Shampoo: Many people consider their pets to be a member of the family, so a gift of organic pet care products is a great idea for any animal lover.
Buying Organic Gifts
If you don't have time to make gifts from scratch, but love the idea of homemade presents, check out Etsy to view the selection of products available from home-based entrepreneurs from around the globe. A quick search for "organic" will reveal t-shirts, jewelry, and a number of unique home decor items.