In today's over-medicated and overly processed society, many people look to organic cures to ease minor ailments without resorting to over-the-counter or prescription drugs, which can cause nasty side effects. Studies have shown in many cases that natural, herbal treatments can be as effective as or even more effective than pharmaceutical counterparts. Take a look at a few minor discomforts that can be eased with natural remedies.
Natural Backache Remedies
Backache is a common complaint that often has no identifiable cause. This can be a real aggravation for you when you are in pain and your doctor tells you there is nothing wrong. Try a few organic cures and see if they will ease your pain. If your pain lasts for more than a few days or is accompanied by numbness or fever, be sure to get to your doctor as soon as possible.
The following remedies are for minor pain due to muscle strain, poor posture or even sleeping on the wrong mattress.
- A calcium supplement with magnesium and vitamin D can relax tight muscles and ease tension. Even magnesium on its own can be a tremendous aid in relieving pain.
One great product that helps is called Natural Calm. This powder dissolves in warm water (with a fizzy reaction to the water) and helps reduce the symptoms of magnesium depletion which include headache and muscle tension and cramps. Check your local natural food store for sample sized packets and give it a try.
- When you experience muscle pain in your back, drink two big glasses of water. Often dehydration is the cause of your pain and can be relieved within a few minutes of rehydrating with pure, clean water.
- 240 mg of White Willow Bark has been shown to be as effective as taking over-the-counter drugs like ibuprofen and acetaminophen.
- Try a hot, 30 minute bath with two cups of Epsom salts dissolved in the water. Do this as often as necessary for relief of back pain.
Herbal Headache Remedies
Few things zap your energy quite like a headache. If you suffer from migraines the experience can even be disabling. Fortunately there are organic cures that really do help headache sufferers.
The first thing to do when a headache strikes is to get a glass of water. Just as with back pain, headaches are often triggered by dehydration.
If water doesn't help, try these herbs:
- Cayenne (yes, the pepper) is a natural blood thinner that will improve blood flow, which helps alleviate the pain. It can be taken in capsule form.
- Chamomile, in tea or capsules, helps you to relax, which eases tension headaches.
- Feverfew in a 380 milligram capsule can provide quick relief for headache pain. These can be taken several times a day. Do not take if you are pregnant.
- Peppermint is a wonderful herb that provides relief as a tea or incorporated into a salve along with ginger and wintergreen. This salve (found at natural food stores) can be applied over the sinus area for a sinus headache or to the nape of the neck and temples.
- Skullcap is a mild sedative that helps to ease pain.
- Valerian root is also a very effective sedative. Take one or two capsules and lay down for a while.
- For headache accompanied by nausea, as is often the case with migraines, include capsules or tea made from ginger.
Other Organic Cures
You may be surprised to find organic cures for other common complaints as well.
Insomnia, for instance, can be helped by drinking chamomile tea (unless you are allergic to ragweed) or by taking Kava kava.
A calcium and magnesium supplement at bedtime will help you to relax and fall asleep faster. Also, supplementing occasionally with Melatonin is very helpful. Only take Melatonin for a few days at a time. Begin with one tablet about an hour before bedtime. Increase dosage as necessary, but do not exceed five milligrams per day.
There are also options for natural, organic hemorrhoid cures including yarrow tea applied to the area with a cotton ball, aloe vera gel and other remedies.
While there are no actual organic cures for the common cold, there are things you can do to help fight off a cold faster and to make it less miserable.
Vitamin C and zinc both boost your immune system, helping it to fight off cold symptoms. In fact, zinc lozenges taken every few hours can actually stop a cold in its tracks. Echinacea and Goldenseal are also great immune system boosters.
There are many organic products for psoriasis including milk thistle extract, burdock root and red clover.
Be sure to follow the directions on any organic cures that you purchase whether it is a vitamin, herb or a product that combines several things for a specific ailment. For serious illnesses or severe pain it is always prudent to visit your doctor for advice.