If you hair is dull, hard to manage and brittle, it may be due to an overload of chemically-laden products. Harsh shampoos and conditioners strip follicles of essential nutrients. Choose instead to make organic hair products that feed the hair the nutrients it deserves. Putting good proteins and essential fatty acids on your hair increases shine, vitality and best of all, manageability. Making your own organic hair products at home is easy and saves money in the long run.
Oily Hair Pre-Shampoo Conditioner
This conditioner works to control excess oil while soothing the scalp and hair roots.
- 1 1/2 cup jojoba oil
- ¾ cup lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 7 drops sage essential oil
- 7 drops tea tree essential oil
- 5 drops rosemary essential oil
- Combine all ingredients in a clean glass jar with a lid.
- Apply the mixture to dry, unwashed hair, beginning at the scalp and massaging into the roots. Rub the oil using downward strokes away from the scalp. This seals the hair follicle.
- Comb the hair through completely.
- Follow the treatment with a mild organic shampoo. Massage the shampoo into the hair, adding water slowly until all the oil dissolves. Lather well and rinse as usual.
- Towel dry your hair by scrunching, and style as usual.
- Use this mixture 2-3 times per week for best results.
Herbal Shampoo For All Hair Types
This is a suds-free hair wash that leaves hair soft, shiny and remarkably clean. Although you may not have heard of some of these ingredients, they are readily available online or at most natural health stores.
- ¼ cup bhringaraj, powdered
- ¼ cup gotu kola herb
- ¼ cup powdered lavender buds
- ¼, cup neem, powdered
- Purified water
- Place first four ingredients in a resealable plastic bag and shake well.
- When ready to use, boil 1 cup of purified water and remove from heat.
- Add 2 teaspoons of the herb blend to the hot water.
- Cover mixture and allow it to sit for five minutes.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly.
- Wet hair completely.
- Poor ½ cup of the mixture on your head and massage the scalp for two minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture and rinse well.
Leave-In Rosemary Conditioning Rinse
This simple fragrance rinse stimulates limp hair and leaves a lasting fresh fragrance. Be careful when using this rinse as it may stain light-colored towels.
- 4 cups of purified water
- 1 teaspoon borax
- ½ cup dried rosemary
- Bring water to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Add the borax and the rosemary and stir well. Remove from heat.
- Cover and let steep for two hours.
- Pour 1 cup over the head and massage into the scalp.
- Do not rinse out.
- Store in the refrigerator for seven days, and then throw away the unused portion.
Show Your Hair How Much You Care
When you make your own organic hair products, you will be nourishing your locks with natural goodness instead of draining them of life. Your hair will thank you by being shiny, soft and easy to style.