Most of your favorite recipes can easily be converted to organic baking recipes simply by substituting organic ingredients for the items you usually use. When you're planning your menu, it's a good idea to visit your local supermarket or organic food store with your favorite cookbook in hand. This will allow you to locate organic substitutions for the ingredients you may have used in the past.
Since the benefits of organic cooking are becoming much more widely understood, you'll be likely to find the organic baking ingredients and produce you need to make all of your favorite goodies.
Organic Baking Ingredients
Many upscale supermarkets, natural food stores, and online retailers carry organic products for baking.
Bob's Red Mill
It's likely that one or more of the local shops or supermarkets in your area carries Bob's Red Mill baking ingredients. This company markets a full line of products perfect for use in fall holiday organic baking recipes, including grains, flours, and spices perfect for use in organic baking.
The Bob's Red Mill product line includes many of the ingredients you'll need to make your favorite cookies and cakes. Some of the available organic products are:
- Rolled oats
- Vanilla extract
- Flour - white, whole wheat, and pastry
Bob's Red Mill even carries several organic baking mixes, perfect for those who enjoy freshly baked treats but don't want to bake from scratch. Some of the delicious organic mixes include:
- Whole Grain Apple Spice Cake Mix
- Whole Grain Chocolate Cake Mix
- Whole Grain Gingerbread Cake Mix
- Whole Grain Lemon Poppy Seed Cake Mix
You can view the complete organic line on the website. Many supermarkets and natural food stores carry this line of organic baking products. The store locator on the company's website can help you find retailers in your area. If your local store doesn't have the specific product you need, ask the supermarket manager if it can be special ordered for you.
King Arthur Flour
King Arthur Flour carries an extensive selection of organic baking products that can be purchased online, via mail order, or in the company's store located in Norwich, Vermont. No matter what type of baking you like to do during the holidays, it's likely that King Arthur Flour will have an organic grain product that meets your needs.King Arthur Flour's organic product offerings include:
- Flour - white, wheat, whole wheat, high gluten, oat, flax, whole grain blends, barley, spelt, pumpernickel, and other varieties
- Oat bran
- Rolled oats
- Whole wheat berries
There are also many organic options in the King Arthur Flour product mix for those who prefer to start from a mix rather than bake recipes from scratch. Some of the taste tempting bake mixes include:
- Blueberries and Cream Scones
- Cherry Vanilla Scones
- Golden Popovers
- Maple Bran Muffins
- Maple Whole Wheat Bread
- Vanilla Cream Scones
Another leading manufacturer of organic baking goods is Eden Organic. This brand is also available in better grocery retailers, health food stores, and organic shops around the country. You can also order directly from the Eden Foods online store. Available Eden Organic products that can be beneficial in organic baking include:
- Barley malt syrup (an organic sweetener)
- Flour - spring wheat flour, winter wheat flour, and pastry flour
- Oils - olive, safflower, sesame, and soybean
- Whole grain wheat (for those who like to grind their own flour)
Fresh Organic Produce
In addition to organic baking ingredients, it's also important to use only the freshest organic produce in your recipes. Many supermarkets, farmers markets, and co-ops carry a varied selection of organic fruits and vegetables. If you have having trouble locating a local supplier for organic produce, visit LocalHarvest.org to search for a local outlet in your area.
Organic Baking Recipes
- Visit OrganicFoodee.com for organic recipe ideas and other tips from Ysanne Spevack, author of Cook Organic, The Organic Kitchen, Organic Cookbook, and other publications about the benefits growing, cooking, and eating organically.
- See Deliciously Organic for a selection of free recipes for organic baked goods. Recipes listed include cakes, cookies, breads, tarts, and more.
- Check out LoveToKnow for detailed information about how organic foods are different from other products.
Time To Start Baking
Once you locate the best resources in your area (or online) for organic baking ingredients, you'll be ready to start creating healthy and natural treats that your friends and relatives are sure to enjoy.