Buying bulk organic black tea is a great way to get the benefits of organic tea and save a little money in the process.
Why Drink Black Tea?
Green tea gets most of the good press where tea is concerned, but it's a good idea to drink some black tea as well. Black tea has many of the same phytochemicals, substances that promote good health, than green tea does, though in different amounts.
Studies involving black tea have shown that drinking it regularly can reduce the risk of heart attacks and stroke. Drinking tea has also been linked to reduction of the risk of certain types of cancers (including ovarian cancer), osteoporosis and even bad breath.
Drinking five servings of tea a day has been shown to lower total cholesterol and LDL or "bad" cholesterol levels after just three weeks.
For the best health results, studies have found that tea should be consumed without dairy products, which dilute the good chemicals, but that a bit of sugar or honey is OK.
Buying Bulk Organic Black Tea
Because of the increased popularity of black tea, bulk organic black tea is getting easier to find than it used to be. You may even be able to find a selection at your favorite organic food store right alongside the organic coffee beans in the bulk foods section.
If you are a connoisseur of black tea and would like a wider selection than your local shop offers, there are many, many options online. Here are just a few you'll want to check out:
- Mighty Leaf sells a good selection of loose-leaf organic teas, including an organic Earl Grey and organic breakfast tea. Also check out their bulk packs of bagged tea.
- Arbor Teas has a dizzying number of organic black teas (as well as other teas) to choose from, which can be purchased in 2.5 ounce or 8 ounce packages (8 ounces is about 100 servings). They are organic and fair trade certified.
- Mountain Rose Herbs sells several blends of bulk organic black tea, which can be purchased in 4 ounce, 8 ounce or 1 pound bags. Discounts apply when you buy more than five pounds at a time.
- Viable Health Solutions sells organic and Fair Trade certified teas including Ceylon, Darjeeling, Chai and Orange Spice.
- While Republic of Tea does not have many organic options in bulk, their tea is easy to find in supermarkets and coffeeshops nationwide.
Brewing Black Tea
Once you have your supply of organic black tea, you'll want to be sure to brew it properly. Many bulk bags of tea don't contain brewing instructions like the individual boxes do, so here's a quick rundown of how to get a great cup of tea.
- Put cold water in a teakettle or in a pot and bring to a boil. Use eight ounces of water for each cup of tea you plan to serve.
- If you're planning to put the tea into a decorative teapot, preheat it or your mug by filling it with warm water while the tea water brews. This will help the tea brew correctly because a cold cup could lower the temperature of the water too quickly. Dump the water out before adding your tea leaves.
- If using bulk loose tea, put one teaspoon of leaves into a tea ball for each cup you are serving. If brewing in a teapot, you can use a large tea ball or put the leaves directly into the pot and strain as you pour it into cups.
- When the water comes to a boil, pour it over the tea and allow it to steep for three to five minutes, until the tea has a nice rich color. Use a timer if you tend to forget, because over-steeping can make tea bitter.
- Remove the tea ball or strain the tea into a cup, add sugar, honey or milk as desired, and enjoy!