Organic heirloom seed variety packs give gardeners the opportunity to grow vegetables, flowers and herbs as they were generations ago.
Heirloom Seeds through the Years
By saving the seeds from year to year, many gardeners feel a strong connection to the past and to their heritage. As these gardeners carefully take the seeds from their top-performing plants each year, they are ensuring the purity of their next year's plants each with their own unique history, flavor and characteristics.
Online Resources for Organic Heirloom Seed Variety Packs
The Internet has many excellent websites that offer organic vegetable, herb and flower seeds. The following is only a small sampling:
- Grannys Heirlom Seeds offers many varieties of certified organic heirloom seeds, and complete seed packages. There are also articles and tips such as Seed Care, a USDA hardiness chart for the organic grower and a planting chart.
- Heirloom Seeds offers over 1,100 varieties of heirloom seeds, many of which are organic. Included in the brief description given of many seeds is the year the seed was first introduced.
- Full Circle Seed has many varieties of organic heirloom seeds. Each one is chosen for its resistance to pests and its delicious old-fashioned flavor.
- High Mowing Seeds offers 21 varieties of heirloom vegetable seeds. These varieties have been chosen based on their delicious flavor, and unique characteristics such as shape and color.
- Gary Ibsen's Tomato Fest is the ultimate website for finding organic heirloom tomato seeds, with more then 600 varieties. All of these certified organic heirloom tomato seeds are grown and harvested by hand on the Tomato Fest Farm.
- The Green People website offers a multitude of useful links for any organic gardener wishing to grow heirloom seeds.
Organic heirloom seed variety packs are a link to the past, producing vegetables that are full of flavor and nutritional value. Each generation of seed is lovingly safe guarded until it can be returned back to the ground to repeat the cycle of life.